Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

Among the many other paradoxes of pilgrimage is that in order to find your way, you have to first be lost. Well, I suppose I really am on pilgrimage, then...

So I got to Atlit and found the trail around the town of Ein Hod, on the southwestern slopes of Mount Carmel. I camped out for the night, which turned out just fine. Unfortunately, the following morning, I came to a point where the trail went straight off a cliff. Apparently water runoff from the record rainfall here has eroded the path as it traced the edge of the overlook.

After several attempts to relocate the trail, I decided to head back. Not knowing anyone or having any place to stay in Nazareth, I hopped a train for Jerusalem. So here I am, back at St. George's.

However, quite providentially, I met a man named Alex, an American from Texas who studies Muslim-Christian relations and teaches courses in Nazareth. He's offered me a place to stay over this next week. So, that's where I'll be tomorrow night, Sunday, through Friday morning. How amazing is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment