Monday, February 15, 2010

Trusting Providence in Nazareth

So here I am in Nazareth, in Alex's home with his wife Sharon and their two children, David (5) and Mia (2). I couldn't have found a better place if I'd looked. Alex is a Ph.D. student at the University of Edinburgh studying Christian-Muslim relations, and is working on that by teaching seminary classes here in Nazareth. Sharon majored in mathematics and is busy raising the kids. She's also a great cook.
I've been a bit sick the past few days with a horribly sore throat and all the attendant congestion that comes with that (pray for that, too, by the way). So I spent most of today resting (read: sleeping).

However, this evening, Alex gave me the opportunity to present a lecture on the development of Herodian and Roman rule in Israel/Palestine. I've studied that subject fairly extensively, but it was great to actually get that foretaste of what I could do in the future at the head of a classroom. The students were Sudanese refugees, and all delightful people. Alex thoroughly enjoyed my talk, and has asked me to give it three more times tomorrow for classes in the Theology of Mission, Intro to New Testament, and Early Christian Doctrine.

Can you imagine a better place for me? I sure am glad I'm not out sleeping somewhere in the woods, though that will come in time. For now, I'm thanking God for his many blessings.

1 comment:

  1. wow Bill! so awesome that God led you to Alex! and how cool that you got to teach - 4 times?! know you are in our prayers a lot. hope you are feeling better!! love you! wendy and steve

    ReplyDelete